‘Go native’ and mulch to conserve water, time

‘Go native’ and mulch to conserve water, time

Postby healthydecode » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Q: I live in the eastern part of Oceanside close to the Vista border, and I have a slope that is about 100 yards long and about 25 yards wide. Over the years the ice plant had deteriorated mainly because I don’t know how to maintain it and I don’t water enough. I hate to waste water so don’t have the greenest yard in the neighborhood. I’m tired of pulling weeds and need to do something soon. Do you know what I could plant to cover the slope that will grow fast and doesn’t take too much water? Should I be looking for ground cover instead of ice plant? Any information you could provide would greatly be appreciated. Louie

A: Oh Louie, there are so many things you can do with a slope, of course many of them depend on how steep of a slope it is. It also depends on how much work you want to do and how much money you want to spend. In your case just getting the ice plant out will be a big job. If water is your biggest concern, and the slope is not too steep, my suggestion would be to “go native” — go native and mulch. There are so many California native plants that once established not only do not need but actually do not like summer water. Cleveland sage (Salvia clevelandii) is on the top of my list, manzanita stays green all year and there so many varieties of California lilacs (Ceanothus) that you can have your pick of one that hugs the ground, or one that is a shrub or one that is a tree. October is the ideal time to plant, so if you choose to go this way start on the ice plant now.

There are two nurseries in the area that specialize in native plants, Las Pilitas in Escondido and Tree of Life in Orange County. Both of these nurseries have very knowledgeable and helpful staffs and will be able and willing to help you choose what is right for you.

When it comes to mulch you are in the right city. At El Corazon on Oceanside Boulevard, it is free to Oceanside residents. If you do not have a truck there is a delivery charge, but if you have a truck they will load it, but you must have a cover.

Q: I planted Naked Lady bulbs about seven years ago at my Escondido home and they’re not doing well. The bulbs are about halfway exposed above the soil, as they have always been. Can you give me some advice? Betty

A: These Naked Lady (Amaryllis belladonna) bulbs have been busy propagating themselves for seven years now so there are most likely far too many for the space they are in. They propagate very rapidly and what was one bulb seven years ago is probably dozens by now. Try taking out a lot of the top bulbs and covering what is left with light soil and see what happens.

These plants are usually fool proof in this area, the mistake that is usually made is removing the dry and dead-looking leaves before the blooms sprout. These should be left intact; they are unsightly but they are feeding the bulb until it blooms.
healthydecode

Return to Native Gardens