Unpleasant Smell in Newly Remodeled Homes

Unpleasant Smell in Newly Remodeled Homes

Postby cathl » Fri May 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Every time when I walk into new or newly remodeled homes I notice the unpleasant smell. Where does the smell come from? Is it from the carpet or the paint?
cathl

Re: Unpleasant Smell in Newly Remodeled Homes

Postby kimboy » Fri May 06, 2011 9:58 pm

It could be chemicals
kimboy

Postby Naturalandhealth » Wed May 11, 2011 1:39 pm

The new house smell is caused by many products..causing a toxic soup. The floors in most homes have particle board or plywood both off-gassing formaldehyde. Then under the synthetic carpet is rebond foam pad..this is pieces of foam(cured formaldehyde) with toxic adhesive glued together. On top we generally find synthetic carpet that has many carcenogenic chemicals.If you request the list of the chemicals I will send you a copy with storys of persons and pets injured by new carpet. Right now, I can't post on my web site. ..and stain repellent applied to the surface. Go to ewg.org for my info on stain repellent. The c The paint is petroleum ...now with less solvents,but still made with acrylics. that do off-gas even the low-V.O.C. paints. In the kitchen we would find particle board cupboards and a very toxic adhesive used for the vinyl floors and the formica counter. And that's only the beginning of what could be causing that "new" house smell. If you have any more questions you can contact me at naturalhomeproducts.com I have spent 20 years coming up with healthy solutions for homes,schools and offices. OH, and don't believe the marketing campaign launched by the Carpet and Rug Institute that carpet airs out in 72 hrs..it's more like 4 to 5 months to a year and the rebond and vinyl flooring never air out until it is dust. So thanks for the question and stay healthy!
Naturalandhealth

Postby lati » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

It sounds like it is full of chemicals in our house. I've never thought of that. My child has asthma. Maybe hardwood is a better choice than carpet?
lati

Postby Tosca » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Yes, hardwood floor is a better choice in your case or in many cases. Make sure the installers use low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) stain and varnish for the floor. To be sustainable, you can choose reclaimed or FSC (Forest Stewarship Council) wood.
Tosca

Postby Stanleys » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:44 am

There are things that you have to consider in a new home smell because it manifest products that stayed for a long time inside the home.
Stanleys

Postby Tosca » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Because chemicals can stay in the house for weeks, months or even years. I always suggest you to keep your windows open for as long as you can. Even in the winter, keep your window(s) an one inch opening to let the toxic air out and bring the fresh air in.
Tosca

Postby RollandRo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:16 pm

What's the solution to get rid of that smell? Should we spray room freshner?
RollandRo

Postby Tosca » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Open the windows even in the winter to let the smell to leave your house. Do not spray air freshener in your home. You are only bringing more chemicals into your home. Read the ingredients. If you can not pronounce those ingredients do not buy them.
Tosca

Postby Stanleys » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:15 am

Remodeling the best ideas that will give development to adhere knowledge to make a perfect ways to have smell.
Stanleys

Next

Return to Indoor Air Quality