Cotton Insulation

Insulating existing homes to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.

Cotton Insulation

Postby furee » Mon May 05, 2014 11:38 am

I'm looking into insulation materials and surprised there are many kind of them. Cotton insulation sounds interesting to me. Any suggestions on that?
furee

Re: Cotton Insulation

Postby JimK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Cotton works well and has R-value 3.7 per inch. It's made of recycled denim with low embodied energy. Its R-value comparable to other materials. It can be installed on ceiling, attic, wall, underfloor and does not irritate the skin and contractors like it. It's more expensive than cellulose and fiberglass.
JimK

Postby ManLasvegas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Cotton works well and has R-value 3.7 per inch.
ManLasvegas

Postby kobygye » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:05 am

Cotton insulation is considered to be more safer and easy to install than fiberglass. Many contractors today offer discounts on cotton insulation as it is easier to work with.
https://twitter.com/VentisAus
kobygye

Postby dianed » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm glad to know contractors are charging less to install denim insulation. It makes a lot of sense because denim is made of cotton and it does not irritate skin. They don't have to wear anything to cover their eyes and mouths or every inch of their skin and they can do their jobs much faster.
dianed

Postby JimK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Cotton denim is easy to install. I just tear along the perforations to fit the cavities. It's just a little dusty, much less dust than cellulose and fiberglass. I still put on goggles, mask, and gloves before applying cotton denim since I work on the materials for a long period of time. Make sure to take out the batts and let them to expand for awhile before installation.
JimK

Postby goldn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:59 pm

I was at Home Depot looking into insulation materials for my attic. I know about fiberglass but not much about cellulose. Anyone used it? Any comments on the material?
goldn

Postby guyprotection » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 am

I'm also new here and I'm looking forward to learn from you guys.

How to Finish a Basement: Framing and Insulating
guyprotection

Return to Insulation