[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Green Remodel Forum • View topic - Window Tint?

Window Tint?

Equipment performance, proper sizing to ensure comfort.

Window Tint?

Postby sembernka » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:57 pm

I recently picked up this brochure that talked about the benefits of window tint for the home. Anyone have experience with this and to explain its true efficacy?
sembernka

Re: Window Tint?

Postby Grahamson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 pm

As I know most valuable benefit of window tinting is You can aware of the damaging effect of the sun’s UV rays that can cause skin cancer.
Grahamson

Postby smkwong » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:16 pm

I had them installed more than 10 years ago. It worked pretty well at the beginning. There was a decrease in temperature and the room was not as bright. It was a little reflective at night which was okay with me. But it gradually degraded and lost its effectiveness over time, then started peeling.
Today's films have improved. They block between 20-50% of heat getting into the room. Some films block over 90% UV rays which reduce furniture fading. If the windows have single pane and they are facing south or west and still in good condition, in my opinion it's worth trying to use the film. Make sure the film you are getting is not too dark, otherwise the room would get very dark on a cloudy day. The film lasts for about 10 years according to the representative at a building trade show.

Although it works well for the summer, it does not do much for the winter. To reduce heat escaping through single pane windows, apply cellophane on the windows frame can help.
smkwong

Postby murreycharles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:10 am

Well, Window Tinting can be helpful to minimize heat. It's also helps to protect carpets & furniture from fading. Tint makes your windows more safer and prevents injury to damage windows glass.
murreycharles

Postby AbeZack » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 am

Window tinting is very essential. I also have it installed in my house and completely agree to all the advantages that are stated by others.
AbeZack

Postby smkwong » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:00 am

I forgot to mention. You may not want to apply the film on double pane windows. The warranty on your double pane windows can be void by the window manufacturer.
smkwong

Postby alancashion » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 pm

Is it possible to do it in an aluminum window ? Is this safe for the window ? I am not sure about this actually. Please let me know about it. Help will be appreciated.
alancashion

Postby smkwong » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Yes, I had the films on my single pane aluminum windows. They are safe if you use the clear or lightly tinted films. Some say the darker films may create more heat and crack the glass.

The films did reduce the heat and less glare in the summer. I suggest using clear to lightly tinted ones which allow 70% of the light in through the windows. The darker film can block more sunlight and cooler in the summer, but the room would look very dark in cloudy days. The films degrade over time. They last for about 10 years and you may need to replace them.
smkwong

Postby Pete » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

The film does reduce heat in the summer and make room cooler. However, it does little or nothing for the winter heat leaving the room and it's cold if I don't set the thermostat high. Any suggestions on that?
Pete

Return to Heating, Cooling and Ventilation