[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Green Remodel Forum • View topic - To Make Conserving Water Easier

To Make Conserving Water Easier

Tank, tankless, solar thermal, high efficiency condensing, recirculator.

Re: To Make Conserving Water Easier

Postby Golden » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Have a native garden! I live in N. California where the summer is very dry. I used so much water to keep my lawn green all summer long. Three years ago, I decided to remove my lawn and planted all drought tolerant plants. The drip system water all the new plantings the first two years. After that, voila, no more watering the plants. I prune them a few times a year. There is no more watering, no more mowing. Save money , save time, and save energy! :)
Golden

Postby HoS » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm

I have a rain water trap set up that collects rain water from my roof. I set up some plumbing for it to travel down to a water storage barrel in our basement. We use it for doing our laundry and dishes. Setting up the plumbing was no hassle at all. Most water usage in the home comes from those two areas so it eliminated a lot of water waste for us.
HoS

Postby Chriis » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:13 am

My water bill is crazy in the summer. After removing my lawn, I planted drought tolerant plants. It saves me quite a bit of money from watering the lawn and buying fertilizer. I have more time to do other things. It feels so good that I don't have to remember to mow my lawn any more.
Chriis

Postby grand » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Yes!! Me too, no more pesticide, no more big water bill, no more lawn mowing!
grand

Postby sustained » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:54 pm

you can build a sustainable pond to water your yard with instead of utility water and replenish it with your roof.. plus there is a ton of other benefits ..

once you have a big one setup you can run pipes through it circulate water through the pipes and use them to heat or cool your house.. neat stuff :)
sustained

Postby sustained » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:57 pm

The project above you can do for about 20-50$ that can cut your water bill by 30-40% make your home more green supply more nutrients to your lawn making it stronger, healthier, drought resistant, and greener. As well as bring a bit more aesthetics to your home.

sustained

Postby sustained » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:44 pm

One of these DIY(specifically) point-of-use water heaters here can trim power and reduce that wasted water that is not used waiting for the hot water to reach the faucet from the heater.. This can be estimated to be around 30,000 gallons a year which is around 30% of your water usage based on a family of 4.. Which is kind of suprising when you think about the amount of water you waste waiting for hot water to reach the faucet.
sustained

Postby janmc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 pm

I had a point-of-use water heater installed under the sink in the cabinet in my kitchen so that I don’t have to boil water for my coffee or tea. When I need hot water to degrease some of the greasy dishes and pans I get hot water instantly. (We are vegetarians and our dishes are not that grease.) I find it convenient with no waiting for hot water and may save us energy too.
janmc

Postby Amarion8100 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:36 am

I read out your interesting and informative post....i'm agreed what's said above.You really inspired me with that.This is a very useful thread that will be referenced long into the future.
Amarion8100

Postby Alex » Sun May 27, 2012 11:22 am

It's interesting about point-of-use water heaters. That means you have to install a separate small water heater under the sink in addition to the conventional water heater in the garage. You may save some cold water going down the drain while waiting for the hot water, but I'm not sure you save energy. Because you have 2 heaters heating water 24/7.
Alex

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Water Heater, Storage and Pipe Systems