"Green" Countertops

Materials that provide healthy living, are renewable or will not harm the environment.

Re: "Green" Countertops

Postby janmc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:19 pm

I think one of the best advantages is you know exactly what kind of vanish/coating you put on it, with low/no VOC. Even if you have a shop to do it for you, you can ask for the coating as little chemical as possible.
janmc

Postby kimboy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:09 am

I am not crazy about resealing or remembering to use a trivet to keep my countertop look good. I mostly likely choose Caesarstone or Silestone because I don't have to worry about what I put on the counter.
kimboy

Postby amor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Yes, maintenance is a problem. I haven't decided on my countertop choice either. It is not easy. Anyone have experience with concrete countertop?
amor

Postby Alex » Mon May 07, 2012 11:32 am

Concrete is very durable and last for a very long time. It does not scratched easily. You can even get colored concrete countertop. Although concrete is hard it's also porous, the surface can be etched from a strong food acid, such as lemon juice. Coffee, mustard, red wine, or oil can also stain the surface. Some people don't mind that and they think it is a natural process.
Alex

Postby marie » Wed May 16, 2012 1:12 pm

What a great idea to use the felled tree as a countertop! I wish I had thought of it when I had 2 big eucalyptus removed last year. I was reluctant to do that but their small seeds covered our lawn and nothing could grow there and other reasons. Sigh...
marie

Postby Golden » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 pm

I found a countertop that works well for me. Eco is almost like Silestone. They are made of quartz and recycled glass bind with resin. They have the similar look, similar feel, and they look pretty. But you don't have to seal it. It's practically maintenance free! That's the kind of countertop I like. I don't have to worry if I spill wine or juice!
Golden

Postby smko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Both Eco and Silestone are made by Constentino. They both look very pretty. They look like granite without the maintenance. Though they are made in Spain.
smko

Postby amor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 am

I've finally decided Eco to be my countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms. They are eco friendly and easy to maintain. That's what I've been looking for.
amor

Postby dianed » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Sounds great. NO MAINTENANCE!
dianed

Postby moshei » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 am

These days, there's a nearly endless array of options on the market if you're looking for a stylish, green countertop. Availability varies and transportation costs — in more ways than one — so you might stop by the local green building store to see what's being made locally. You might see some of the products discussed below. ;)
moshei

PreviousNext

Return to Sustainable Materials