[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Green Remodel Forum • View topic - Finishing the basement...

Finishing the basement...

Materials that provide healthy living, are renewable or will not harm the environment.

Finishing the basement...

Postby GreyBird » Fri May 18, 2012 8:26 am

My husband and I are in the process (slower than I'd like) of finishing our basement and in the interest of the environment (and my conscious) I'd like to make it as sustainable and green as possible.

I found carpeting that I really like at Nebraska Furniture Mart - it's made from 25% recycled material which seems to be the best I can find (after looking at Home Depot and Lowes) in our price point. It's just slightly over two dollars per square foot. I'm not certain that there is another place that has carpeting that has a higher recycled percentage or not. I'm not opposed to another type of flooring either, provided it's in my budget (cork, etc). So if anyone has other advice I'd be more than happy to hear them.

My main question is this, though...

Is it possible to get the materials for the basement (dry wall, lumber for framing, etc) that are more sustainable or am I stuck with what we can get from a standard home improvement store?

Bear in mind we're doing this ourselves.
GreyBird

Re: Finishing the basement...

Postby smko » Tue May 22, 2012 10:46 am

The Soft Collection carpet made from corn cost $2 - $4 a square foot in Home Depot. They also carry Martha Stewart's 20% recycled carpet cost $1.70 - $4 a square foot. The Healthy Choice padding $.99 a square yard. These quotes are Prices in the Bay Area in California. You may want to install some rigid foam type material to insulate the floor to prevent heat loss through the basement floor.

For sustainable lumber, FSC (Forest Stewardship Council - promotes the responsible management of the world's forests.) wood is a good choice or reclaim wood works well also.
smko

Postby eins » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

Whatever materials you use to finish the basement, it's better to air them in your well ventilated garage. As we all know, nowadays, almost everything contains some kind of chemicals that can pollute the air in the finished basement. So, it's better to air them for several weeks in the spring or summer and install them in the fall.
eins

Postby Adan8100 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:45 am

Great sharing...
Thanks for sharing this...
Adan8100

Postby Stanleys » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:56 am

It really help that planning of a certain details give much desire to manage all the specific information to create a good designs.
Stanleys

Postby sheilmolson1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:36 am

Well if you are going to finish the basement by your own then I would like to suggest that you consult to a good architect or contractor who are constructing the building according to the LEEDS. They are now a days following the LEED educational videos to market their buildings.
sheilmolson1

Postby meahkashem » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:25 am

good post thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!!!
meahkashem

Postby ashtonparker436 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:29 am

Nice one. I love how you think. ;)
ashtonparker436

Postby karen123 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:58 pm

karen123

Postby geraldjoseph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:57 pm

I have got most of my basement renovation products like Tiles ,Stones from Omicron as they provide best quality material at pocket friendly prices .It would be better to keep your basement natural as possible .Check out more collection of .
geraldjoseph

Next

Return to Sustainable Materials