Wanting to Keep Old Windows

Materials that provide healthy living, are renewable or will not harm the environment.

Wanting to Keep Old Windows

Postby goldn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Remodeling sounds simple, I was thinking just replace all the old and warned out things in my home since they function well for us. One of the windows is broken. I thought to replace the broken window and that is it. Then I heard about the new windows are more energy efficient. I checked out the prices of new windows and they are expensive! Should I keep the old windows and repair the one broken window or replace all new windows?
Last edited by goldn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldn

Re: Wanting to Keep Old Windows

Postby Grahamson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 am

You can fix only the broken windows and keep the others since those are working great. without remolding you can give them a new look a well.
Grahamson

Postby goldn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:27 pm

The reason I was thinking maybe replacing all the windows because from what I understand the new windows are more energy efficient. At the same time, I only have one window broken. And my house is about 35 years old.
goldn

Postby smkwong » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Today's windows are much more energy efficient than the old windows. Since you only have one broken window. You may want to fix that one broken window. You didn't mention if you have wood or aluminum windows. Try indow window and see if it would work. Indow window is a window insert fits inside of a window frame. It is made of of a sheet of acrylic glazing edged with a Compression Tubing. It can save energy equivalent to double pane windows.
smkwong

Postby goldn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 am

I'm not sure the window inserts you are talking about would look good on them. I went looking for windows and they are very expensive. Yes, they are much more energy efficient than my single pane aluminum windows. But to replace all the windows it'll cost me nearly $15,000!!! It's not a small budget.
goldn

Postby murreycharles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:51 am

It will be a great for you that you want to keep old windows but you can remodelling it easily by using some accessories.Also you can use wooden shutters for that.
murreycharles

Postby smkwong » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:43 am

Single pane aluminum windows are the least energy efficient. Wood windows with double pane has argon filled are more expensive and more efficient. You may want to consider vinyl or fiberglass double pane with argon filled. Vinyl windows are the least expensive and fiberglass cost more than vinyl but less the wood.
smkwong

Postby Tosca » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Any extra layers of window covers would help. Such as, close the drapes at night and open the drapes during the day to let the sun in to warm the living area. Close the blinds, tightly fitted to the windows would be better...
Tosca

Postby Jane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Wood shutters are big and bulky. I wonder if they help much keep the heat inside?
Jane

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Interesting question. I think it depends on how tight when they are closed. I think they would help keep the heat in, but hard to measure how much since there are extra covers covering the windows.
Kate

Next

Return to Sustainable Materials