Granite Counter Top

Materials that provide healthy living, are renewable or will not harm the environment.

Granite Counter Top

Postby June » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I am planning a remodel. I am thinking of granite counter top. They are durable and last for a long time. Is granite considered "green"?
June

Re: Granite Counter Top

Postby janmc » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Granite Countertops are known for their strength, durability and aesthetic beauty. We can see them almost in every mid to high-end home. But they are not "green". They create a big carbon footprint from the energy used to mine, transport, and fabricate rough slabs into countertops somewhere far away.

New York Times reported allegations that granite countertops may emit dangerous levels of radon. Although not all granite countertops are dangerous, why take the unnecessary risks. If you have to install granite countertops, do a radon test first. Test kits can be purchase at hardware stores for $20 to $30. For more information see http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html

I suggest to use the greener materials are concrete, paper composite, laminate countertops, recycled glasses and wood.
janmc

Postby June » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Many of my friends and neighbors have granite countertops in their kitchens. They are beautiful stones. I planned to have one installed in my kitchen too when I remodel. It will be a big shock to them when I tell them about this radon thing.
June

Postby janmc » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Remember, not all granite countertops have radon. Get a test kit from a hardware store and test it. Think through it then decide what to do.
janmc

Postby cathl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:43 pm

I thought that I always keep up with the news. I don't understand How I could have missed granite countertops emit radon! Almost everybody I know have granite countertops in their kitchens. Most new homes have granite countertops in the kitchens. Granite countertops have been popular for 20 years. What took them so long to find out? So, now we all have to go to hardware store to buy test kits to test our countertops?!!! I am speechless!
cathl

Postby janmc » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 pm

Please remember. NOT all granite are dangerous. Experts agree most granite countertops contain extremely low level of radon which costs no harm. To have a peace of mind, you may contact the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (aarst.org). Testing costs between $100 and $300. Also radon testing kits are available at website: http://epa.gov/radon/ or from a hardware store for $20 to $30.
janmc

Postby cathl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:28 pm

I just had my countertop checked. It has no radon. I am so glad!!
cathl

Postby crane » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 pm

I am in the process of deciding a countertop for my kitchen. I am so glad I found this forum. Now I know that I won't be choosing a granite countertop. Anything but granite.
crane

Postby chirp » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:33 pm

If granite countertop has radon problem, what material is good for kitchen countertop?
chirp

Postby jkee » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:24 pm

I like Icestone recycled glass countertop. IceStone is made from 75% recycled glass in a concrete matrix. They have many color and pattern choices. And they are beautiful. Go to a kitchen cabinet store to see it yourself.
jkee

Next

Return to Sustainable Materials