A green kitchen remodel

Materials that provide healthy living, are renewable or will not harm the environment.

A green kitchen remodel

Postby Qqueen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 am

Hi, this is a very general question regarding my upcoming kitchen remodel project. I am planning on remodeling my kitchen this time round and I want to use items that are considered ‘green’. I just need ideas on the materials to go for since I want to get almost everything replaced. I want new counter-tops, cabinets and some kitchen appliances will also need to be replaced. Any ideas on the materials I should avoid and the ones to go for?
Qqueen

Re: A green kitchen remodel

Postby smkwong » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 pm

I'm glad to see you're considering green to remodel your kitchen. After all, who wants to breath in those chemicals in the house after the remodel! Here are my suggestions:

For countertops, I like eco by consentino and icestone. Eco by Consentino is made of recycled glass and resin made of soy which you don't have to seal. Icestone is made of recycled glass and concrete which you seal it once a year like granite to prevent stain. Other choices are silestone and quartz. They are made of crushed quartz combining with resin (5% resin may have VOC) but little or no maintenance required. More details on How to Select a green countertop on this site under Green Topics. http://greenremodelforum.com/grf/?page_ ... c8414efb52

For cabinets, choose FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) or reclaimed wood. choose stain and varnish on cabinets are water based with no VOC (Volatile Organic Compound). You need to ask the cabinet guy on that because some companies still use the varnish with VOC though it was banned two years ago (in California). The cabinet boxes are usually made of plywood or particle board. Make sure the adhesive soy based and free of VOC. More green cabinets info on this site http://greenremodelforum.com/grf/?page_id=914

or if the old cabinets are still in good shape, you can paint them with zero VOC paint. Painted cabinets are trendy now. By doing that your old cabinets no need to be hauled to the landfill. Other options are to install in the garage using for storage or donate to Restore.

For appliances, look for energy efficient ones, with Energy Star labels. More info http://greenremodelforum.com/grf/?page_id=912

Happy Green Remodel!
smkwong

Postby ashtonparker436 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 am

Kitchen remodeling is a wise investment. Your kitchen should be one of the most important rooms in your home that you need to keep clean all the time. You may install granite floor tiles or choose marble for your counter top. ;)
ashtonparker436

Postby KevinYoung » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:09 am

Green has become the most catching word in the home remodeling industry. Green remodeling guru David Johnston endorse in one of his book, Green Remodeling: Changing the World One Room at a Time, that owners select formaldehyde free cupboard and countertop stuff with paints and stains, and water based adhesives. He also emphasizes the significance of good ventilation.

Green building not only saves energy but it has many aspects which saves us from many health related hazards.

Green buildings, green home, green kitchen these can make our living place worth-living.

Go Green...................
KevinYoung

Postby DanielBruce » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:02 am

Well, its a good idea for replacing and remodeling your kitchen. Recently I had done some changes in my kitchen also and if you need materials like cabinets and tiles then you may check an online store as "builder outlet USA" from which I got useful kitchen cabinets for my kitchen.
DanielBruce

Postby ErinDykes » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:14 am

It's really a good idea, thinking about remodeling the kitchen and updating the important part of house. I agree with jolly to go for natural items for your kitchen stuff.
ErinDykes

Return to Sustainable Materials