Old House !

Anything that does not fit the above forums.

Old House !

Postby greg79 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:33 pm

hello
I just bought an old century house. I decide with my wife to renovate the house but I want to keep the old style...
I like to know if there are any step to follow and where I can find the old materials.

when I'm not renovate my house, I'll relax by playing a webcam poker game is on new website: http://www.camasino.com
greg79

Re: Old House !

Postby boblee » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Wow, that is a loaded question. Regarding the steps for such a project, it really depends on the house and what you want to achieve. You'll probably need to work closely with an architecture specialized in preservation to get what you want.

On old materials, there are reclamation and salvage companies that may have things that work for you. You'll need to visit them often since they get "new" stuff often and many are one-of-a-kind, so if someone else buys them, you are out of luck. You may be able to get many things that fit your project at very reasonable price. I know one person who bought for his entire house used flooring wood which he refinished. I also know some others who got tiles, doors, etc.

Another potentially useful tip. If you wish to preserve the skin of the house, remove them (such as the wall, moldings, trimmings, external siding etc) carefully. You can work on the inside, such as proper waterproofing, air sealing, and insulation. After that you can replace most of the old skin just as a cover.

Sounds like an interesting project. Good luck and have fun.
boblee

Postby greg79 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 am

thank you so much for your answers
it's really nice
greg79

Postby smko » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:46 pm

If you live in the bay area, here are the stores: Ohmega Salvage, Berkley (specialize in Victorian products); Urban Ore, Berkely; also check out Reuse People. Habitat for Humanity's Restores can be found in many cities in different states. Check their websites for locations.
smko

Postby greg79 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:45 am

thanx smko !!
greg79

Postby Grahamson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:11 am

do the existing windows really need replacing? If any of them is more than, say, seventy years old then it is likely to be a traditional and interesting antique accessory to the house. Older windows, most likely of wood or iron, could be quite straightforward to repair. Virtually anything still hanging in an opening is potentially repairable - ideally allowing retention of old glass with its special visual qualities.
Grahamson

Postby Stanleys » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 am

If the windows are still in the good condition, I think you don't need to replace it anymore.
Stanleys

Postby Jakla » Thu May 30, 2013 12:13 am

When ever any guy buy such kind of house than he immediately cal some inspection team who will tell us the exact condition, benefits and disadvantages regarding to the newly buy house. They do not cost much and provide us security related to our house.
Jakla

Postby Reynaldo77 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:27 am

Congratulation to you that you have purchased a old house.One important thing that i have observe it all the floors are totally stripped because many old homes are totally floors stripped.Even then bathrooms and bedrooms are totally flor stripped.
Reynaldo77

Postby NicoleS » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Older homes often have more solid construction, larger living spaces and fine details that new homes do not. At the same time they may need repairs or even updating. But if you can find one suited to your needs and affordable it can be a real opportunity to own a comfortable home.
NicoleS

Next

Return to Others