Cost Effective Energy Improvements

Insulating existing homes to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.

Re: Cost Effective Energy Improvements

Postby janmc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Yes! Trees! Plant one or two deciduous trees on the south side of the house. When the sun is high in the summer the tree’s canopy blocks the sun from going into the house and keep the house cool. When the leaves are fallen, the sun is low in the winter and it let in the winter sun to warm the house. This is probably the best and simplest and greenest way to keep your house comfortable all year round. Make sure you plant the tree(s) 8-10 ft from the house so that the root system won't damage the foundation of the house.
janmc

Postby lati » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:52 pm

With a small budget, what steps should I take to make my home comfortable and warm in the winter?
lati

Postby JohnfromIPC » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Cost effective improvements are on the minds of all homeowners as energy costs continue to ride. Insulation, weather stripping and replacing windows are some of the most effective ways to reduce the costs of energy to operate your home. Turning up the temperature in the summer will help the system run less, but it will not keep the home as cool as you desire. For an energy audit, consult a qualified contractor in your area.
JohnfromIPC

Postby einst » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Seal all those cracks and even little tiny holes. Open the cabinets and look under the sinks. If you see holes where the pipes connected to outside, fill the holes with spray foam which you can buy from any home improvement store. Stuff newspaper and tape it tight can work too. Anything to stop the flowing of air can help. Weather strip around the door and windows. These simple steps you can do it yourself and cost you very little.
einst

Postby JimK » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Use cellophane to cover your windows and use a hair dryer to blow onto the cellophane to tighten it. It works very well for air infiltration and keep your house warm in the winter.
Last edited by JimK on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimK

Postby Tosca » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:31 pm

How about the clothesline, hang your clothes outside and let them dry by the sun. It's free and smells fresh too.
Tosca

Postby dianed » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

Drying clothes in the sun is great. Besides saving energy, money, smelling great and fresh, the sun makes your white clothes whiter. And you don't need to use bleach that saves you money too.
dianed

Postby Adan8100 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 am

Certain two facts on this page are unequivocally the best we have all had.I agreed what's said above.This is a very useful thread that will be referenced long into the future.
Adan8100

Postby veum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:45 pm

The past winter, my feet felt very cold as I was working in my kitchen the first time. I ran my hand along the baseboard and I could feel the cold air coming in. Next day, I got some Great Stuff from Home Depot. I removed the baseboard and saw a big gap between the wall and the floor. I sprayed the Great Stuff along the joint between the wall and the floor. Let it dry. Cut the excess foam even up with the wall. Nailed the baseboard back on. No more draft. Wow, what a difference!
veum

Postby dia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 am

Ah...I always wonder why my feet are so cold...I'm going to seal mine too...
dia

PreviousNext

Return to Insulation