Cost Effective Energy Improvements

Insulating existing homes to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.

Re: Cost Effective Energy Improvements

Postby lati » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 am

...interesting...I might want to do that too...simple solution for much comfort.
lati

Postby pres » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:19 pm

I just went to remove the baseboard and sure enough there is a 1/2 inch gap between the floor and the drywall. Who could have thought of that?! I sure will plug it all up.
pres

Postby einst » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Another inexpensive way to save energy is to change all the incandescent light bulbs to CFL bulbs. CFL bulbs can save you 75% of the energy compare to incandescent bulbs.
einst

Postby JimK » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 pm

LED is another option and save 80% of energy compared to an incandescent bulb. They are more expensive than CFL but they last much longer than CFL. Also LED price is dropping fast and the technology is improving. Many predict LED is the lighting for the future. I'm not a bit surprised by the progress of the technology from the Light Show I attended this spring in SF.
JimK

Postby Tosca » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 am

The energy you save is the energy you don't use.
Tosca

Postby Kate » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:33 pm

LEDs price will be down to $10 at home improvement stores soon.
Kate

Postby moshei » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 pm

interesting.. also seal and insulate your home to improve comfort and reduce heating and cooling costs. EPA recommends Home Sealing to improve your home's "envelope" or the outer walls, ceiling, windows and floors. To improve the envelope of your home: Add insulation, seal air-leaks, and choose an ENERGY STAR labeled window if you're in the market for new windows!
moshei

Postby Stanleys » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Check with your local utility or use our Special Offers search to see what incentives or rebates are available for the purchase of ENERGY STAR qualified appliances, lighting, or HVAC systems..
Stanleys

Postby May » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 pm

If you replace all the incandescent light bulbs with CFL bulbs in your home you can save 75% of the energy on your lighting. CFLs are inexpensive. It's simple and easy to do. You can tell the difference when your utility bill come next month. I know a few people did that and they could see the difference on their utility bills. It does not seem much. Just go around the house and count how many light bulbs you have. You would be amazed the number of light bulbs you have.
LEDs save you 5% more, but they are more expensive though they last a lot longer.
May

Postby Stanleys » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Well, Have an energy audit done on your home. An energy audit might be the single best energy-saving investment you make in your home. An energy audit (performed by a qualified energy advisor) will pinpoint where the energy "leaks" are in your home, and will recommend the home improvements that will have the biggest impact on your home's energy efficiency. They'll provide you with a detailed report including suggestions for specific changes that you can make to your home..
Stanleys

PreviousNext

Return to Insulation