[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Green Remodel Forum • View topic - Which Type of Insulation Should I Use?

Which Type of Insulation Should I Use?

Insulating existing homes to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.

Which Type of Insulation Should I Use?

Postby goldn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 pm

There are different types of insulation and it is difficult to make decision. Any suggestions?
goldn

Re: Which Type of Insulation Should I Use?

Postby JimK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:09 am

I had cellulose, a loose-fill insulation in my home. It is made from recycled wood fiber, newspaper and phone books. The wood fiber is shredded and pulverized into small, fibrous particles that pack tightly into closed building cavities. Chemical was added to the cellulose to make it insect and fire resistant. I like this product because it has the least chemicals compare to other insulation materials. I shall know if it works well this winter.
JimK

Postby janmc » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:04 pm

The most common insulation materials used in homes are fiberglass batts and blown in cellulose. Fiberglass batts consist of extremely fine glass fibersis. It is less expensive but difficult to install them correctly. If to install fiberglass properly it should be no gap, void or compressions. Blown in celllulose is made from recycled newspaper. It costs more but it is easier to dense pack the existing walls and attics, especially hard to reach areas. High-density batts for an 12-inch spaces offer about an R-38 value. To acheive R-38 blown in cellulose needed to be 11 inches.

Other insulation materials such as foam, sheep's wool, cotton... are even more expensive.
janmc

Postby mikebonar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:11 am

You are there are many different types of insulation like Blanket batts and rolls, Concrete block insulation, Foam board or rigid foam, Insulating concrete forms, Loose-fill and blown-in, Sprayed foam, and choosing any one of this is really a difficult, all the insulation types have different quality and you should read articles about insulation's type where are you wan to install insulation and for this area which insulation will appropriate.
mikebonar

How to find some new

Postby NikodiNen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:07 am

NikodiNen

Postby DanielBruce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:43 am

I hope your installation work was done well. However, I agree with mikebonar's opinion that there are many types if installation so it's difficult for suggesting an appropriate. If you still have any doubt then may make a contact with your local contractors or experts. On my house remodeling work, I was asked a housing expert from "BuilderOutletUSA" and after observing my home they suggest an appropriate suggestion which works perfectly.
DanielBruce

Postby dianed » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Choosing insulation materials for our home is harder than I thought. There are many pros and cons. I always thought I was going to use wool. But with more research, I am not sure any more.
dianed

Postby GDalton1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 am

I can't figure out yet which is th best insulation to use.
GDalton1

Postby affordablewindows » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Your insulation should be energy efficient as far as I concern to be perfect.
affordablewindows

Return to Insulation