Cold House

Insulating existing homes to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.

Re: Cold House

Postby Gammer0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:15 pm

I am also facing same problem my cottage is almost same, You need to get high quantities of that sunshine and hot summer air into the place as you can. When you're there and it's hot outside open doors, windows, for incoming the sunshine which makes your house hot.
Gammer0

Postby jorgea » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:56 am

You need you house to be inspected for leaky gaps so you'll know where to fix them
jorgea

Postby bessiehudson » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 pm

One way to improve the efficiency of your home is to install additional insulation into the attic, walls, basement or the crawlspace of the home.
bessiehudson

Postby smkwong » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Adding insulation is good, but don't forget to do air sealing. In order to prevent winter cold air and summer heat enter your home, air seal is the most important step. Find those holes, gaps, and cracks in attic and basement or walls and around the house, and fill them with spray foam. The spray foam called Great Stuff, can be purchased from home improvement stores. And then insulate. The air sealing acts as a wind-breaker and the insulation is a sweater. By taking the above steps your house will be a lot more comfortable. It is a lot of tedious work. If you don't have time to do it yourself hire a home performance contractor to do it. You will feel the difference in temperature inside your house!
smkwong

Postby dianed » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:50 am

Our house is 35 years old and it's very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. I found our attic has a thin layer of fiberglass. I thought it was not enough insulation so I hired a company to spray foam our attic. It's better but I feel it's not as comfortable as I expected. My utility bill is a little lower. I thought after the spray foam our house would be a lot warmer in winter and cooler in summer and reduce my utility bill significantly. Am I asking for too much?
dianed

Previous

Return to Insulation