[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Green Remodel Forum • View topic - energy efficient windows

energy efficient windows

Insulating existing homes to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.

energy efficient windows

Postby Ethelsimmons » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:59 am

Hi! This is my first post in here. Well, I've got a query. My windows are old and they have almost lost its insulation.Being winter season its been really difficult for us to stay in. The windows aren't able to hold the heat within the room. We are seriously thinking of replacement. But would love to get suggestions on what kind of window will suit both winter and summer season. I'm looking for a window that is energy efficient. How about vinyl windows? I've heard that vinyl windows from Landmark Home Solutions at Ottawa are the best. Would like to get some genuine comments on it.
Ethelsimmons

Re: energy efficient windows

Postby smkwong » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 pm

There are many choices for energy efficient windows. It depends on where you live. If you live in a very cold climate region you may want to get triple-pane windows. For mild climate region, I think double-pane windows are sufficient.

For energy efficient window frames and glass types, you can find great information on our site:
http://greenremodelforum.com/grf/green- ... s/windows/
http://greenremodelforum.com/grf/green- ... e-windows/

Wood and fiberglass frames have great insulating properties. Vinyl frame insulating property is good but not as good as wood and fiberglass. Aluminum conducts heat unless it’s thermally broken (insulating layer between inner and outer frames). Wood is the most expensive, vinyl is the least expensive, and the price of fiberglass is in between.

Vinyl windows are more affordable. Avoid vinyl frame windows if you have extreme heat southern exposure. (If you choose, you can use vinyl on other sides of the house. Install fiberglass on the south side of the house. They look similar but insulating property is different). Vinyl tends to warp when exposes to high heat. It warps when outdoor temperature is about 100 degree F in California.

Ask for low-E argon filled double-pane or triple-pane widows, since some window products do not include low-E or argon gas.

For winter and summer comfort is a little tricky, I would suggest
SHGC from 0.25 to 0.37, U-factor of 0.28 to 0.32. For more details
http://greenremodelforum.com/grf/green- ... s/windows/
smkwong

Postby smkwong » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Oh, by the way, (I forgot to mention about it last time) you said that it’s difficult to stay in. Check and see if there is insulation in the walls and attic. Also check and see if there are gaps and holes around the windows, doors, between the ceiling and the walls, walls and floors. There may be cold air coming in from outside or attic. Or you may want to hire a home performance contractor to check for you. He can do the test and tell you where the problems are and recommend steps to take to solve the problem. Make sure they are certified by BPI (Building Performance Institute), HERS (Home Energy Rating System) certified or other related certification. They are trained and have the knowledge to provide you a detail energy usage in your home.
If you call a window company they would recommend you replace all the windows. If you call a heating and cooling company, they would tell you to replace your furnace, etc. If you call an insulation company, they would tell you to install insulation in your attic or walls.
The most cost effective and provide the most comfort for your home is air sealing first (seal all gaps and holes), then install insulation, then replace windows. Good luck!
smkwong

Postby kakidid » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Replacing all the windows can be expensive. How about installing window inserts. I don't know much about it, but will look into it. I'm thinking if the inserts work for my windows.
kakidid

Postby georgeculver » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:01 am

I agree with, Kakidid. It is actually expensive, but it keeps your home warm from inside. Inserting a window is a good option. I have attached an image and it will help you. You can here.
Attachments
moran_inside_north_small_install_01u575.jpg
moran_inside_north_small_install_01u575.jpg (53.65 KiB) Viewed 9731 times
georgeculver

Postby LindaToffy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:50 am

LindaToffy

Postby GeorgeStevens » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:52 pm

It is important to take proper decision before replacing a window,and that too energy effecient. Yes, it is possible to manage this kind of problem of replacing a window. My friend had such replacement done at his house which was also built in the late 60's, he surveyed around , Boca Raton and the other locations that could help him with the problem with installation of a new window at the least cost.
GeorgeStevens

Postby JohnJKing » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:37 am

Thanks for the information. It is really good to know about this energy efficient windows and a great learning products.
JohnJKing

Postby Brownieboy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:29 am

Having old uninsulated windows sucks! I hate feeling the cold air from outside coming in.

Brownieboy

Postby smkwong » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Nowadays all windows are either double-pane or triple-pane. They help to keep the warmth indoor in the winter and keep the heat outdoor in the summer. Make sure your window installer installs the windows correctly. They also should caulk around the windows to prevent cold air from outside to infiltrate to the inside of the house in winter, or warm air leaks into the house in summer.
smkwong

Next

Return to Insulation