Brown Lawn in the Summer

Brown Lawn in the Summer

Postby Bill » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:22 pm

I live in the East Bay. I have a lawn and it looks great in the spring. But in the summer, it turns brown unless I leave the sprinkler on for 15 minutes a day for 5 days a week. is there any type of grass that can tolerate the summer heat?
Bill

Re: Brown Lawn in the Summer

Postby jkee » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Yes, buffalograss. It takes the sun well but not the shade. It needs very little fertilizer, water and mowning. My friends lived in the central valley and installed it on their front lawn last year. They saved a lot of money on their water bill.
jkee

Postby greenjeans » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Buffalograss has not been well tested in the East Bay as yet, having been developed by UC Davis, but it holds promise. It does take awhile to establish and will need regular watering during this period. There is also Carex pansa, another lawn substitute. Alternatively, consider replacing or reducing your lawn size and planting natives and/or mediterranean/drought tolerant plants instead. It's a different aesthetic, but properly done can be quite lovely and a low maintenance/low cost solution. Also, you won't need to fertilize or apply pesticides.

But, in answer to your question, you should not need to water 5 times a day for 15 minutes. You may have compacted soil and/or a problem with "thatch" buildup that prevents water from getting down to the root zone. Do you have problems with runoff also? Frequent watering discourages roots from growing deeply in the soil (because they don't have to, in order to find water). Does your lawn show signs of disease as well?

Lawn aeration should be done twice a year in spring and fall, which will help water penetrate the thatch and also provides oxgen for the roots. If you have 3 inches or more of dead grass above the root zone, you probably have thatch. You can hire someone to do the dethatching and aeration for you, or rent the equipment and do it yourself. For more informaton on lawn care and alternatives, consult with Contra Costa Master Gardeners at ccmg.ucdavis.edu.

Mrs. Greenjeans
greenjeans

Postby Tosca » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:23 pm

How about a native garden. Find out what native plants are suitable for your climate area. You'll save fertilizer, water, and time fore less mowing.
Tosca

Postby ashleypaxtonn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:29 am

I too will recommend Buffalograss referring to my personal experience. It is very good and can suit to your needs perfectly. I put them on my lawn and they grew like spreading water each day and till today I am happy about my decision. Give it a try.
ashleypaxtonn

Return to Native Gardens