[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Green Remodel Forum • View topic - Best Time to Prune Japanese Maples

Best Time to Prune Japanese Maples

Best Time to Prune Japanese Maples

Postby grand » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:49 pm

I have a Japanese maple about 12 feet tall and needed to be pruned. When is the best time to do it? And when I should not do any pruning at all?
grand

Re: Best Time to Prune Japanese Maples

Postby kgilcrest » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm

The best time to prune Japanese Maples (Acer palmatum) is in mid-winter, while the plants are still in winter dormancy, and before they begin to produce buds and leaf out in the spring. Generally, you should not prune winter deciduous trees while in an active growth phase, and should avoid pruning in the fall as the wounds may not have adequate amount of time to seal before rains begin. For further information, contact the Contra Costa Master Gardeners Help Desk .
Kathy
kgilcrest

Postby grand » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:20 am

I hired two guys to prune my maple tree in January. Now it looks like a canopy after they pruned it. Something I wanted them to do the most is to thin it out and they did not thin out enough. When is another good time for me to do more thinning?
grand

Postby smko » Sat May 07, 2011 2:54 pm

You can do a little thinning but not too much in June. Then wait until January to do more pruning. It is easier for it to heal when the tree is dormant in the winter.
smko

Postby Stanleys » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:34 am

Having an interest to develop a way on making the best knowledge on a good designing that will include prune.
Stanleys

Postby June » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 pm

I have a big maple tree. It looks pretty but I just let it growing too big. I had a guy from a nursery to prune my over grown maple. It took him only 20 minutes. I came out and saw it and was so disappointed. He just cut all the lower branches and thin it out. It didn't even look nice. I regretted very much to hire him to do the job. I thought he owns a nursery he should know what to do with a maple and make it look good. Sigh!
June

Postby Grahamson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 am

Removing too much of the tree's growth can stimulate excessive growth or cause unnecessary stress to the Japanese maple. You should also avoid removing more than 1/4 of the foliage on any given branch. Otherwise, the branch may not be able to absorb enough nutrients.
Grahamson

Return to Native Gardens