Cheaper and Better Solar Panels

Photovotaic or hotwater system

Cheaper and Better Solar Panels

Postby chirp » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:28 pm

I've been hearing all this clean tech and green tech research going on. Are there any cheaper and better solar panels on the market?
chirp

Re: Cheaper and Better Solar Panels

Postby boblee » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:32 pm

The most popular technology used today is silicon based (monocrystal or poloycrystal). This is mature technology. The manufacturing cost has been coming down steadily in recent years. The efficiency of such systems has also been improving in small amounts but is reaching its limit. These are still the most cost effective (watts/dollar) systems. They are also quite reliable - good for 25 years or more.

There are many other technology in research or early development stages. It is hard to predicit which of these and when they will turn out to be better (more cost effective, more reliable) products.

The cost of a PV system depends also on the "balance of system" and installation. Check how the cost breakdowns are and get competitive bids.
boblee

Postby dianed » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:28 pm

My contractor suggested I have solar panels installed on my roof so that I can reach the goal of net zero energy. I like to do that except I don't really use much energy. It'll probably take 30 years for the pay back. I think it is troublesome for such little benefits since I use so little energy.
dianed

Postby stewart » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:12 pm

The best way to get a cheap solar panels is by DIY Kit or the Photovoltaic which will be of more quality and warranty.
stewart

Postby Arrowhead21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 am

Anybody here tried PV siding? We've initiated solar siding for improving the home's exterior and was just curious if there were other contractors out there who have done the same.
Arrowhead21

Postby GLENRAD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:08 pm

The answer is that nobody does that... yet. But based on latitude, the colder climates, like Alaska and Washington, Minn, Wisconsin, Maine, they can check out the efficiencies, but the panels need to be installed at 40 degrees or more tilt. In winter the tilt goes much higher as the sun is lower in the horizon.
So, nobody yet.
But...
GLENRAD

Postby goldn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 pm

I saw a wall panel used solar cells integrated into glass panels on a Passive House Tour a couple of weeks ago. It was a pretty clever idea. When the sun hits on your solar wall it makes energy to be used at home.
goldn

Postby GLENRAD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Actually, I wasz in Wisconsin and in Washington state. Turns out that many people do this. Some of the panels are hanging, most are mounted properly. Some of these are not PV but are Thermal and they heat the water for typically hot water showers, etc. sometimes incremental heat of the home/cabin/etc. And yes, the latitude needs to be greater than 40 degrees. So that is a new market to hang them on the sides of buildings.
GLENRAD

Postby Stanleys » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 am

Interesting reading,we've been playing around with the idea of a solar panel, like this maybe we can afford it, thanks!..
Stanleys

Postby JimK » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:34 am

Although the prices of Solar panels are coming down but they are still not cheap. There are many ways you can save energy with out sacrifice comfort and save money too. Something as simple as replacing all incandescent bulbs with CFLs or LEDs. They can save you 75-80% energy. Also remember to turn off light when you leave the room. Use power strip to turn off phantom load all at once. Use an energy efficient pool pump and set the timer so that it does not operate 24/7. Just by doing that, you can tell the difference when your utility bill come next month. And you also don't need to have as many panels on your roof no matter you are buying or leasing.
JimK

Return to Solar